Question about copyright laws for podcasting EDM

1 reply to this topic

#1 ZINK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

Hey guys,

Long-time listener of the show. I'm actually starting a similar radio show on my college FM station, where I focus on unsigned and emerging artists on small labels. Trying to show the underground side of EDM that doesn't typically get airtime on the big shows (Solarstone used to do the "unsigned track of the week" but sadly dropped it).

I'd also like to distribute my show as a podcast, so my question is about copyright laws for podcasting content that I don't own the rights to. I've read a lot about podcast copyright stuff in general, but I'm hoping someone can give me an inside scoop.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how the big shows (Solaris Intl, Intl Departures, ABGT, ASOT, etc) handle copyright laws. Based on the things they play, I find it very hard to believe that they contact every single copyright holder and pay for broadcast permissions for every song they play, certainly not based on podcast downloads. That would end up costing hundreds of thousands of dollars (podcast rights cost per download). Also, they play a lot of bootlegs, which don't have the proper copyrights in the first place. How do they handle this? Is everything just covered under the fair use doctrine?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers!

BTW if you're interested, here's the facebook page for my show, and it will start airing on FM and streaming online the last week of June: www.facebook.com/electronicundergroundradio

#2 Jimmyfi

Forum Addict

• solarSwarm
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Interests:Music movies games books.. basic stuff :D

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:16 AM

The big podcasts are run by A-List DJ's so they kinda have an angreement with each others.. i promote your stuff, you promote my stuff =) and no money change owner.. DJ's do are promotion machines by definition =) i thinks =)
For the love of ..... >_<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users